Site Meter

01 July 2017

Back to Vietnam

After a 24+ hour trip (via IAD and Beijing), I arrived back in Vietnam about 3AM yesterday (Friday). Linh is also here via Pittsburg and Tokyo. We will both be here until the end of July. It has been more than 1.5 years since we were last here.
It is great to be back here. I am staying at the same hotel that I have been going to for the last 9 years (see http://www.thewhitehotel.com.vn/).It is nice to be back to my old hood. Although there have been many changes, it remains very familiar and comfortable to me. The street vendor (her name is Nay) where I have gotten my daily Caphe Sua da's for 5+ years is still at her same location - she still has the US$2 bill (Vietnamese consider them to be good luck) that I gave to her 4+ years ago. Yesterday, I took her to lunch (see above pic) at my favorite restaurant near my hotel - a very "fancy place" to her and she had never eaten there (and her vendor location is across the street from the restaurant).
Linh and I will be traveling a lot during this trip - so look for my travel blog updates!