Site Meter

23 November 2008

Tsunami and Food

I did a 3-dive excursion/trip today. It started and ended with very long 2+ hrs in a minivan, then on a boat for 1+ hrs to the first dive site. Fortunately, we backtracked as we did the subsequent 2 dives - so we were less than 20 mins from the dock after our 3rd dive. Basically the dive sites were disappointing - many, many small but no large fish, much of the coral was dead, dives were relatively shallow @ 78', 50' and 38'. Its was a fun group though - as most diving groups are. A bit unnerving was the fact that they served beer and fruit in the minivan - most were pretty much out of it - some on the drive there and all by the time we returned to Patong. Btw - I never take my BB on dive trips because of likely damage (getting in/out of and riding in boats).

Since arriving in Phuket, many emails have asked are there any evident remnants of the tsunami? Short answer is no. But I have noticed that all structures near the beaches are new and they are still building new ones. The most obvious remnant are the tsunami evacuation signs and sirens which are everywhere - like the one in this pic.

Note the b-suit - not new but finally dug deep enough in my bag to find it!

Many others have asked what is "real Pad Thai like"? It's pretty good and on Phuket Island you get your choice of shrimp or chicken for the same price. This pic is of pad thai that I get at a open-air, beach side restaurant where I am quickly becoming a regular - always includes 6 large shrimps! That's a banana shake which along with mango, papaya and pineapple are my staple drinks of which I consume massive quantities daily. All are made with fresh fruits. Costs of the pad thai and shake = averages about 110TB (Thai baht) or just under $3!