Site Meter

05 December 2008

"American Christmas" Reminder

I hope that everyone had a safe and happy Thanksgiving and are getting geared up for Christmas/New Year's celebrations!

The purpose of this email is to remind you to please send Linh Pham - a 20 yo university sophomore majoring in English - a Christmas card.. To those that have already done so - thank you so much! To those that have not - I ask that you please take the time to do so - soon to ensure that she receives the card before Christmas. To remind you who she is - below is a summary of what prompted this request.

Linh was one of the first Vietnamese I met and befriended in Saigon. Linh has explained to me that since her early childhood she has always been fascinated with the "American Christmas" holidays <-- first via television and later through printed articles with pics. In Vietnam, there is nothing equivalent to "American Christmas" - not even Tet comes close! Although Linh knows a lot about "American Christmas", she is also ignorant about many of its customs - for example she didn't know about our custom of sending Christmas cards. Linh's dream is to someday visit the US during the Christmas season to see all the street/store/home decorations and experience first-hand the goodwill of families and friends. Unfortunately, it will not possible for her to do this anytime in the foreseeable future - and perhaps may never be possible. Hence this request. I am asking that you help me convey the spirit of "American Christmas" to Linh by snail-mailing her Christmas cards (1 or more with Xmas postage stamps if possible) and emails w/digital pic attachments (eg, families by Christmas trees, street/home decorations). I believe this act of giving by American strangers (to Linh)would truly capture and convey, in many different ways, the spirit of "American Christmas". Write to me for Linh's snail-mail and email addresses.

I believe the cost of a snail-mail card would be about $1 and it will take at least 2 weeks for a card from the US to arrive at her address in Ho Chi Minh City.


I have told Linh that I would be sending this email to my family and friends. She is incredibly excited about receiving pics and cards - even though they would be from people she doesn't know. She also asked me to thank everyone for "giving (her) so much Christmas happiness".

I also encourage you to pass along this email to friends and relatives and ask them to send her cards! I hope that all of you will take the time to convey "American Christmas" to Linh.

Regrettably, it is very unlikely I will not be in the US before or during Christmas - so I won't be able to even find let alone mail her a Christmas card. Thank you all for helping me with this request. And, of course, Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all!

- David


PS - Linh is a very shy and endearing person with a beautiful personality.