Site Meter

21 December 2008

Crock's and Insects' Demise

Many people have commented about the crock's I've worn since leaving the US more than 120 days ago. They are the only shoes I've worn, never with socks, and very comfortable. But, after 6 countries (Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand and Burma) and trekking no doubt 100,s of miles in them, they have finally met their demise. As the pic shows most of the tread is gone and there is a hole in the crock on the left along with a phillips head screw that I picked up in Saigon months ago! However, you WILL see me wearing crocks again. I brought an extra pair with me that I will begin wearing tomorrow!

Insects are sold by street vendors and consumed throughout Southeast Asia. I particularly like the small (not large) grasshoppers. They are always deep fried and here in Thailand, just before serving, they spray them with a sweet vinegar and sprinkle very spicy hot salt on them. That's a huge tropical cockroach on the left accompanied by worms, grubs, and 3 different types of grasshoppers. The bigger the bug the "juicier" their inners that squirt when you bite into them. I've tried them all, but because of the "squirting", I like the smaller ones. best. Bon appetite!