Site Meter

24 June 2010

Bikeshaws & Next Leg of My Journey

Until this morning, I had forgotten that of the dozens of pics of Saigon on this blog during the past 1.5 yrs I had never included a pic of the cheapest mode of public transportation in HCMC (Ho Chi Minh City) - the "modern-version" rickshaw or "bikeshaw". Hence the above pic. Fares = about 25 cents/kilometer (.6 miles). Given the heat/humidity, up to 4-passenger capacity + any "cargo" & low-gear ratio on these bikes - their "drivers" are in remarkable condition!
Many of you have asked about my future travel plans. My current Vietnam visa expires July 10 - so it is time for me to start planning my next stop.
I have definitely decided to eventually return to US by heading west from Vietnam - thereby circumnavigating the globe by the time I return to the US.
India will definitely be one of my stops - so I spent a major part of today at the India Consulate applying for an India visa - which will take a week to process. The India Consulate website said it was possible to get & I wanted a 6-month, multi-entry visa. But, they "just changed" their visa regs & I was only able to get a 3-month, SINGLE-entry tourist visa. This severely restricts a liberal travel itinerary bc I can only enter India once! I also discovered that the fee for such visas is US$60 for citizens of ALL countries EXCEPT US citizens who must pay US$80!?!? And, of course, all visa fees, regardless of your nationality, MUST be paid in US$'s!
I am still exploring other stops & visa requirements for possible "visit" locations both pre- (e.g., Malaysia, Tahiti, Borneo) & post-India (e.g., Sri Lanka, Maldives, Jordan). So - stay tuned.