Site Meter

11 July 2010

India

Following an arduous, grueling, long 16+-hour trip from Saigon, Vietnam to Bangkok, Thailand (6 hour layover) to Delhi, India, I finally arrived in Delhi late last night.
Today I begin my 14-day, private-chaffeur-driven "Golden Triangle" tour of Rajasthan - points of triangle being Delhi, Agra & Jaipur - all in northwest India (see www.goldentriangleindia.net/).
This journey will cover a wide range of topography including jungles, mountains & deserts & hopefully many critters such as elephants (my favorite), camels, tigers, & many monkeys. In addition to triangle destinations I have added Sariska National Park - a tiger refuge.
Most of the places where I will be staying are "Palace Heritage" hotels - meaning that they are current or previous palaces of maharaja's & maharani's.
I spent the entire day today touring both New & Old Delhi. The top pic is of the India Gate built in 1921 by the British to honor Indian soldiers who died fighting for the British Kingdom. I much preferred Old Delhi. Bottom pic above is the ruins of the Islam Mosque built in 1195 - the oldest mosque in India.