Site Meter

09 March 2012

Questions re Malaysia

Here are questions/answers to most of the questions many of you have asked about Malaysia:

Islam/Muslim? Yes - most Malays are devoted Muslims. Temples & calls to prayers are common. Only odd experience (like that I experienced in Indonesia) is seeing Malay women swimming (at pools and beaches) fully clothed - including head coverings!

Chopsticks? No - Malays do not use chopsticks. Most eat solid foods with their fingers. They do use spoons for soup. Fortunately, most Malay restaurants offer forks!

Diving (SCUBA)? Because Malaysia, especially Langkawi Island, has many "protected marine parks" - I wanted to dive here. But, I was discouraged from doing so after speaking with some German divers who told me visibility and sea life were poor. I was really bummed.

Weather? This is Malaysia's dry season and therefore their tourist high season. Temp highs were low 90sF and lows in the mid-70sF. There are intermittent brief showers everyday. Yesterday it was cloudy/showers all day & appears it will be the same today - bummer. I hope the weather clear up soon - I return to Saigon tomorrow.