Site Meter

09 January 2014

Caphe Sua Da @ Peking House & More Sad "Vietnamese Boat People" Stories

I had a great version of Vietnamese ginger chicken cooked by Kurt Ly - the Vietnamese chef-owner of Peking House. Delicious!

I also met Kurt's wife for the first time - Amanda - tonight (top pic). Amanda asked for Linh's telephone number to call & talk - I had some reservations - but obliged.

After the fall of Saigon (in 1975), Amanda's family were persecuted by the communists. She escaped as a "boat person" in 1979. Sometime earlier or afterwards, Amanda's sister & other relatives were killed by Thai pirates attempting to escape communist persecution.

It is indeed a "small world". My hope is that Linh will learn a lot about the "American War" from US Vietnamese (speaking Vietnamese!) who were there and experienced the war/communism first-hand! <-- which I am sure is very "different" (more accurate) than what she learned during her many years in Vietnamese schools.

And - of course - I had my cafe sua da (bottom pic)!

Btw - Linh surprised me with txt msg saying she had made spring rolls - which I picked-up @ her apt after eating them @ Peking House! Linh's spring rolls were delicious even tho the "Hanoi spring rolls" @ Peking House are also great!
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T