Site Meter

15 December 2015

Emotional Return to Pleiku

During the Vietnam war, I was initially stationed in Pleiku (September 1966 to January 1967). Pleiku is located in the central highlands - its altitude results in very nice weather (10-15 degrees cooler than Saigon).
It has been 48 years since I was last in Pleiku. Vinh (Linh's father) knew about me being stationed in Pleiku and paid all expenses (air, hotel, etc) for us to visit Pleiku (we arrived yesterday).
Of course, Vinh's very large family includes people living in Pleiku. His family met us at the airport and have been/will be our very gracious hosts while we are here.
Top pic is of "Ocean Lake" (volcanic fresh water lake) around which there were several US Army bases where I lived.
Bottom pic is Linh, Vinh and I having coffee with some of Vinh's/Linh's relatives/friends. This coffee house was a beautiful Vietnamese empire style architecture set on a gorgeous man-made lake.