Site Meter

05 January 2012

Lost Friends Found

Hoang was my principle "motorbike driver" in Saigon during my 2008, 2009 & 2010 visits to Vietnam. He became a trusted & close friend. His wife "owned" a street coffee stand that I attempted to but could not find during my first 3 days during this trip to Saigon. I thought I had "lost" them forever.
Fortunately, on my 4th day trip to her street coffee stand location, she was there! She had been sick at home and, therefore her coffee stand was "closed" (vacant)! This is a pic of me with Hoang & his wife at her street coffee stand. Of course, I am holding one of my favorite Vietnamese coffee drinks = Ca Phe Sua Da (pronounced phonetically).
Hoang is now a taxi driver (wearing his "uniform" in this pic) - a major step above a "common, street motorbike driver" and, as he should be, very proud of his upgrade/accomplishments.
For 3+ years during my previous trips to Vietnam, I became close friends with Hoang as my motorbike driver - including helping his sister "find" and reunite with her American boyfriend in Texas (he is now living with her in Saigon and she is pregnant with their 1st child!); helping Hoang's son resolve some major problems (financial) with the Vietnamese "mafia" and military; confronting Saigon police re resolving "kick-backs" associated with her street coffee stand.
Hoang has invited me to re-visit his extended family as we have done so many times during my previous trips here. I look forward to seeing them and will provide blog updates accordingly.