Site Meter

09 August 2010

Cochin -> Chennai (aka Madras) -> Colombo, Sri Lanka (Ceylon)

Yesterday was a long, 12+-hour travel day! I was surprised to find out that I can now say I was in Madras! After arriving at Colombo airport, I was met by my driver (Bernard - very heavy & eloquent English accent) & it was a 3+ hours drive to my hotel the Taj Exotica on the southwest coast - see HERE. Sri Lanka literally means "resplendid island" - prior to 1972 it was known as Ceylon which still appears on many signs that I've seen since arriving here!
Top pic is view of Bentota Beach from "near" my room. That's the Indian Ocean - very warm water temp, great surfing waves, & a brown sand beach like those on DE/NJ beaches.
Bottom pic is of the property's large infinity pool with Indian Ocean in background. This area was hit hard by the tsunami - bust this hotel survived because it is situated on a high bluff. But everything here at sea level was destroyed during the tsunami.
Above pics were taken this AM. I just finished breakfast & am going to hit the beach now!