Site Meter

22 August 2010

Mantas & AOW 1

Although I estimate I have done about 1,800 dives, I haven't kept an up-to-date dive log for decades. As a result I have never gotten any "advanced dive certifications". Because of the Maldives dive sites' reputation & the fact that I intended to do 5+ dives anyway, I decided to pay the extra cost to get an "advanced open water" (or AOW) certification requiring 5 different dive types (deep water, wreck, etc) & multiple skill tests (underwater navigation, etc). I ended up doing 7 dives & successfully completed the "course" & officially now have my AOW certification.
Fortunately for most of my dives I was buddied with an avid underwater photographer (Michael Henry & his wife both from Ireland) who volunteered to take some pics for/of me. Top pic is of me on reef <- the 1st underwater pic of me on this blog even though I have done several dives since I started this blog.
The reef here has been badly damaged by the tsunami, reef bleaching, & global warming. In spite of these, the reef is regenerating itself. It is known for its many manta rays - next to whale sharks my favorite underwater critters. In all my diving experiences - I have never seen so many of them as I have here at their "cleaning stations" where they que for their turns for fish to clean their gills & mouths - middle pic is an example. Bottom pic is me just hanging. There was a lot of algae in the water which "clouds" pics.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T