Site Meter

30 August 2010

Good-Bye Misr

"Egypt" is an anglo word given to this country. However, for centuries it has been & still is called Misr by its citizens. I have seen many "wonders" here - both literally & figuratively.
Today I discovered that the best place to get pics of all of Cheop's great pyramid (top pic) & his son's US $1 bill pyramid (bottom pic) was from the roof of my hotel - Mena House which has operated continually as a hotel for 120+ years (Google it for more info). It's an ex-palace & absolutely terrific albeit expensive!

It is difficult to comprehend that above pyramids were built over 6,500 years ago & they're still standing.

I return to the US tomorrow. I estimate that during this trip I have traveled more than 32,000 miles. I have visited 8 countries: Philippines, Vietnam, India, Sri Lanka, Republic of Maldives, Qatar, Jordan & Misr. 7 of these countries I visited for the first time! Result being that I have now visited 74 countries during my lifetime. Most world atlas' identify about 200 countries. That means I have yet to visit 2/3 of the world. Stay tuned!