Site Meter

26 August 2010

Petra 1

I spent most of the day trekking about 5-6 miles through Petra - one of the 7 ancient wonders of the world built by the Nabateans beginning in 100 BC reeaching its apex in about 100 AD & featured in "Raiders of the lost Ark". Petra has been on my "bucket list" for decades. It was everything I expected & more!
Top pic is of me at the end of the .65 mile long "siq" (narrow & deep cleft in mountains) leading to city. That is the famous "Treasury" in the background.
Middle pic is of the Treasury - one of the largest "structures" in Petra. It is really a royal tomb noted for the urn at its top center which has been almost totally destroyed by people shooting at it thinking it was filled with gold!
Bottom pic is of me with a friend I met - that is the Treasury in background.