Site Meter

01 August 2010

Ooty & Indian Horses

Arrived in Ooty, what the Brits call a "Hill Station", early this afternoon. This 250+ year old city was established by the British in the mid-1700's because of it's great climate & suitability for growing tea. It is basically located on top of the mountain in top pic - elevation = 7700 feet & very chilly.
I am staying at what is said to be the best hotel in Ooty - the Savoy. It has been in continuous use as a hotel since it was built by Brit in 1841, it is spread over a large area with several 1-story buildings. The best pic I could get was the center pic - grounds are beautifully landscaped. All rooms have fireplaces - I have a fire going now - in July & in south India!!
Unexpectedly - a horseback riding opportunity surfaced (with my preferred English tack!) & I couldn't resist! It took some time to convince the horse owner that I could ride but he finally allowed me to "handle" my own horse - bottom pic. India is known for this breed of horse distinguished by their sharp pointed ears that curl inward at the tip. Even though it rained & was cold during the 1+ hour ride - I thoroughly enjoyed it. Note that I even bought a hooded sweat shirt!