Site Meter

11 February 2013

Tet New Year Begins

The first day of the lunar (Chinese) new year is very important to all Vietnamese.
The "first" visitor in/to your house in the lunar new year is considered an "omen" of what the new year will be like for your - good/bad luck, prosperous/non-prosperous, healthy/unhealthy, etc. Therefore, most Vietnamese "very carefully select" who their home's first visitor will be. Linh's father (Vinh) selected me (for the 4th time!) to be the first visitor to his house in the new year. Vinh has said that I have always brought good fortune and happiness to his family!
Above pic is of Vinh welcoming me as his home's first visitor during the lunar new year - a great honor for me!
Following my "first visit" - Linh's family asked me to go with them to visit the homes of their extended family - 12+ hours of "home/feasting/partying" hopping followed - see below.
BTW - All of Linh's family are wonderful people and great hosts. They have always been incredibly welcoming and have great senses of humor - and they are all great cooks and always offer delicious traditional foods!
NOTE: The above and below activities/pics all occurred Feb 10th. I have been too pooped to update this blog until now!