Site Meter

16 October 2008

Arrived Safely in Lombok

Ends up that Lombok Island is in a different time zone - so the flight was only 1 hour 20 mins AND it was non-stop!Btw - I was wrong about smoking being allowed ANYplace in airports.

It turns out that you are allowed to smoke in any restaurant/coffee shop in the airport terminal - but NO where else! When I left the coffee shop with a lit cig in my hand I was descended upon by 3 heavily armed "policemen". Scared the s__t out of me! But they recognized I was yet another crazy westerner and let me go immediately after they took my cigarette away from me.

The incident was unnerving because Indonesians strictly enforce all their laws. For example - in bold, all upper case letters on their custom's form it states "Drug trafficing is punishable by death!" It's a little strange being in a muslim country again - it's been 15+ years since I was last in one for any length of time - and that was Turkey which is a very moderate Islamic country. For some reason being in one still makes me a little uneasy. I am looking forward to Lombok and Bali areas which are the only predominantly Hindu areas in Indonesia! I may even be able to get bacon here!?!?

Will get in touch again sometime tomorrow after I getting settled in at my hotel.