Site Meter

08 October 2008

Gili/Lombok/Bali Islands Itinerary

It has been an incredible hassle trying to execute the next leg of my journey. It is far more complicated than anyone would believe - biggest problem being to get into these countries (visas) when you arrive, you must have an airline ticket in your possession to leave the country! Difficult to nail down dates and next country I want to visit while at the same time avoiding outrageous airfares charged in VN for international flights!?

Adding to the problems and confusion are 2 other factors: 1) the Indonesian "high season" begins Oct 1st combined with the fact; 2) the 2008 Asian Ocean Games will be happening while I am there. Combined, these 2 factors has resulted in over booked and clogged airlines and hotels!!
Good news is that evidently I am going at a good time of year - high season. Bad news is the consequential clutter that must be dealt with combined with visa hassles!


Anyway, after 4 major hassling days, I have finally gotten everything locked-in as follows:

1 - I purchased a round trip ticket HCM city to Jakarta to Lombok and return. Least expensive (but still costly) option to overcome visa problems.

2 - Oct 14 - I will depart HCM City to Jakarta where I must spend the night bc I will not be able to make the connection from Jakarta to Lombok.

3 - Oct 15 - fly from Jakarta to Lombok Island. Check an atlas to get a perspective of the distances involved and vast geographical dispersion of the Indonesian islands! I will probably be staying/spending time on the Gili, Lombok and Bali Islands all of which are close to one another and linked by "unscheduled" ferries.

4 - Nov 13 - my Indonesian visa will expire on Nov 14 so I will be leaving Lombok on Nov 13 returning to HCM city - the reverse of the itinerary of 2 and 3 above with 1 major difference - I WILL be able to make the Jakarta connection so only 1 full day of travel will be required.

It is indeed strange that Vietnam has the least restrictive visa requirements, i.e., I do NOT have to have a valid airline ticket exiting the country when I arrive!?!?I will be spending some more time in HCM City when I return - minimally enough time to plan my next itinerary which will probably be HCM City to Bangkok to Phuket to Bangkok to Katmandu (high season there!) In Nepal. Of course this leg will require considerable juggling as well bc of the valid airline ticket exiting the country requirements <-- problem because although I will probably be going to India from Nepal - I cannot get into India without a valid airline ticket exiting country!?!? This has become a persistent "rock and a hard spot" problem! Any suggestions!? Ugh! Wish I could do something like the ole Euro Rail Pass deal!That's all from here for now. Hope all is well with you!

David

PS - all flights will be on Garuda Indonesia airlines (GA) - anyone out there ever heard of them or of their flight safety record!?

I will provide specific flight info just before my departure on Oct 14.