Site Meter

04 October 2008

First Night Back in Saigon

About 5PM this afternoon, I was sitting at the hotel's internet computers and Linh's father suddenly appeared! He was on his dinner work break and invited me to join him for coffee and then pho. Having no previous commitments and being pleasently surprised, I immediately accepted his gracious invitation!

We first went for coffees at a very Vietnamese coffee house - I have grown quite fond of Vietnamese iced coffees. For a while we talked about buying property and how difficult it was for even Vietnamese professionals to purchase properties.

Then, Mr. Pham had yet another surprise for me - his wife (Linh's mother) suddenly showed up and joined us! She is also a journalist and for some time was a photo-journalist. I had my BB with me and, of course, I showed them some of my Siem Reap pics. She had been there before, he had not. She spoke no English, but pics and jestures go a long way when people are sincere and his limited English contributed significantly! She could only stay a short period but before leaving she explained through him that she had many beautiful lady friends to whom she would like to introduce me. A bit awkward - but all was fun and interesting. She was a very gracious and beautiful lady.

Mr. Pham then took me to a pho restaurant. Great pho too. He spoke at length about "not being free" like Americans and how professionally and personally frustrating it was that neither he nor his wife could express their true thoughts and feelings in the press. He also spoke at length about the fact that he has rarely spoken to any Americans and how he wants to talk about many things. I look forward to doing just that - and must and will learn some Vietnqmese to facilitate that process!

He then drove me back to my hotel on his motorbike and confirmed our plans to spend tomorrow together at the beach with his family. Before he left, I gave him a present I had bought for Linh which he very reluctantly agreed to do.
.His and his wife's graciousness, intellect, and generousity are really overwhelming. I am really looking foward to spending my day with them tomorrow!