Site Meter

22 September 2008

FAQs - Communism, Crocks, and Massages

Have yoy had any honest, open discussions with any Vietnamese that speak good English about their gov't?

Yes with a couple of people. Most interesting was a 2+ hour conversation I had last night with a 20-something VN guy who had a dual VN/USA citizenship. He and family are from. Saigon area, southerners. They and evidently most south VN do no and never have (even b4 the war) like north VN. The gov't is made up of about 65% north and 35% south VN. ALL south VN in the gov't are VC war "heros" and for the most part not like by the general south VN people. Gov't is far less intrusive now then it was just a couple of years ago.. Capitalism (free and open) is now the unstopable driving force in the south. Many have also said that the south VN are tremendously more honest and cordial than the northern VN. The only rule that is STRICKLY enforced (as in u can diappear) is speaking out against the gov't.

Crocks!? There have been many questions and nasty comments about my crocks.

Bottom line is Yeap - that's what I've been wearing since my arrival in Indochina - and will probably be wearing whenever I'm in the tropics. The are more protective than most sandles and much easier to keep clean/dry than tennis shoes. And yes, they do sell them here - but I've only seen them for sale in HCMC. And yes I have seen others wearing them - mostly Eastern Europeans - I've seen no Vietnamese wearing them.

How are/can/do you cope with temperature/humidity!?

Pretty hot and high humidity daily. So far, HCMC worse. Everywhere I've been both temps and humidity have been well into 90's daily. Yes - I sweat profusely - but when there is a slight breeze and I'm chilling somewhere like a cafe or beach - I now cool down quickly.. So I guess I'm getting used to it.

Any health problems?

Uncle Ho's Revenge caught up to me a few days ago - throughout a night! Although I was a bit nausious the next day - all appears ok now. And I haven't changed my easting/drinking habits - still eating street food and using a lot of ice <- hydration is important so I am constantly drinking something, consuming massive amounts of watermellon (thankfully sold on streets all over for about 10 cents), and ice cream, and fresh coconuts' milk "in shell"! Still able to keep my insulin cold - but can be a major problem doing so. No diabetic-related probs. Finally, yes I believe am loosing weight - no scales but shorts' waste seem much "roomer"!

What do you do about laundry?

I have been living with 3 t-shirts, 2 pairs of shorts, and swim trunks since I hit the country. I do laundry nightly when I take a shower, hang it in AC, and it's dry by the time I get up. Laundry is really cheap though - a little more than $1 per kilo - washed, dried, folded and packaged!

What about bugs - mosquitos!?

Surprisingly I haven't had a prob anyplace I've been so far. I haven't used any form of deet since I've been here and think I've only been bitten a couple of times.

Massages?

Let me just say that they are everything you ever heard or read about - hours long, beautiful ladies, and inexpensive.. I am addicted.

By the way, I went to the top of the mountain along beach today to get pagoda and beach pics - but it rained all AM so the Blackberry stayed in a ziplock bag! Really miserable - but the sun came out just as I gotten back to the hotel - which is where and when I got the best photo of the Louisiane Brewhouse Beach Club - see photo on left! Note that it and beach are still pretty much empty - but I spent an enjoyable day there chatting with 3, 20-something Aussie girls <- sorry left the BB charging in room! Nice day though and yes another lobster consumed on the beach!