Site Meter

05 September 2008

Ho Chi Minh City – FAQ Part 1

...and did I mention...



Photo: On your mark, READY, set ... Note that most ARE wearing helmets! Makes me wonder why they do!? Note also that most are wearing face masks too!?!?


I have received several responses to my emails containing numerous questions - many posing the same questions. So, I decided rather than sending individual/redundant emails, I would answer the most FAQs in a single email to all. I hope you don't find them too mundane. Anyway ... Did I mention ...

CRITTERS - After traipsing miles around this city, in both poor and affluent districts during both day and night - I have seen only 1 dog - a pet, Corgy-mix owned by a small book shop keeper and ... No the dog wasn't friendly at all. And, unlike most large cities in developing countries I've been in around the world, there aren't even any stray or ferel dogs in sight. AND I have seen no cats at all - ferel or pets!? I wonder if there are or were any and, if so an even more ominous question comes to mind - where did they all go?! The only "pets" I've seen are fish in tanks. Really makes me think twice about what's hanging in the many butcher stalls I've seen - as well as what I've been eating?!?! So ... Mini-COL beware! <- a friend's Chihuahua/Jack Russell Terrier mix.

GO ... ... More TRAFFIC in next post...


WEATHER - Although a few degrees warmer and higher humidity than in DC, really not too bad and my climatization is coming along - I am now perspiring 3 instead of 4 gals per day. There are daily t-storms - but they are short-lived (5-30 mins) and the streets (albeit not my clothes) are completely dry within minutes after the rain ends.

TRAFFIC - As a seasoned pedestrian of 3rd-world, urban terrains, I find it manageable and am not intimidated by it - but have noticed many Westerners on the street totally freaked-out by the always congested traffic ignoring what few stoplights exist <- especially when they are attempting to cross streets. Most are motorbikes mixed with a few big trucks and buses. What's it like – take a look.