Site Meter

09 September 2008

Saigon FAQ

I have received many identical/similar questions in response to the emails I sent yesterday. So, I thought I would share responses with all.

Has Vietnam been what you expected?
Although this sounds like a simple and straightforward question - it caused me to pause and do some inward thinking. The purpose of my journey is to experience/re-experience places I've been to before and those that have always been of interest to me. "Experience" to me means seeing/smelling/tasting/hearing/feeling each place I visit. This includes both the good and bad associated with each locale. Therefore, looking at it in a philosophical as well as realistic way - I cannot avoid "experiencing" each place I visit, therefore every location will unavoidably meet my expectations. Further, given this "expectation", such a journey cannot help but be truly gratifying.
This gives me the "warm and fuzzies" feeling we all crave - right!?

Is the traffic really that bad and How do you cross the streets?
Yes it is as bad as it looks - see attached picture #20 - 24/7! How do you cross the streets - think virtual or live Donkey-Kong!

Do you have favorite spots in Saigon?
I have become a regular in a few. My fav coffee/bistro is located in a somewhat high-rent area - I visit it daily - not only for good coffees and food - but for the smile, intelligence, curiosity, never-ending queries about all things, and friendship of Linh (see ahhached pic #21. She is a college BA sophomore doing a 3-mo internship at the cafe. I help her with English and she helps me with Vietnamese. I have become quite fond of her - and I hope she has of me. We've exchanged email addresses and I look forward to keeping in touch with her.

What is the mix (make-up) of the tourist you've seen?
Most are Aussies, Kiwis, and Brits. The remainder appear to be about equal parts Koreans, Japanese, Russian (and/or other Slavs), Philippino, and who I think are Malaysians/Indonesians. There are VERY few Americans - but a few pop up every now and then.

Isn't it weird being in a Communist country?
The in-your-face-Communism I anticipated isn't present. Most of the gold star and sickle flags/banners have disappeared too <-- evidently they were artifacts of "National Day" celebrations which occurred the day before I arrived. On the surface, HCMC appears to be an open, free capitalistic state - with everyone freely and willingly pursuing open niche opportunities. However, I have asked some people about this topic - their responses have always been hesitant and appear self-censored. So, who knows what goes on behind the scenes? Prostitutes?
They are around - but not obvious and in-your-face as I thought they would be. None "walk the streets". Mostly, taxi/motorbike drivers offer and broker their services. Occasionally, a prostitute on a motorbike will approach you - but this has been a rare occurrence – by the way, the ones I've seen on motorbikes were babes! Major problem is hotels absolutely will NOT allow you to bring them to your room. Evidently they can lose their licenses if they do!
So, you have to go to "their place" - which is normally a very small, no A/C room in a very out-of-the-way, off-the-beaten-path locale. Although it sounds incredibly discouraging - I've been told it's "safe". Rates: "FULL, 1 hour massage" = $10, "Everything" or "Round-the-World" = $20

Pictured on the left (#22) are the folks who staff my favorite HCMC central market food stand. It was here that I had my first spring roll (isee previous pic I sent). I have been a regular there ever since - I go there at least once a day. When I appear, they all always greet me with apparenly warm and sincere smiles - and Luang (sp?), to my lft in pic, always greats me w a hug and "peck" on the neck. She has claimed that I will be "... her first and only husband".<-- I assume this means that she Catholic!?!? AND she and other crew all claim that she is 26 yrs old. True - it may be yet another instance of the Chinese-Olympic-Female-Gymnist thingy. But I look forward to my daily+ interludes with her ... and her never-ending questions about the USA, ongoing facination with my BBry - she loves looking at the pics I've taken and luvs pushing the keys! Luang and her fellow crew members, like others I've interacted with here, continue to amaze me how much we can communicate with one another for long periods of time without knowing anything about one another's languages. We really tend to underestimate how effective smiles, pointing, facial expressions, gestures, etc can be as communication tools - especially if there is sincerity behind them!